International Tour Group
Lullymore Heritage & Discovery Park Irish Bog Tours
Lullymore Heritage & Discovery Park is the only venue in Ireland offering a comprehensive insight into the Irish Peatlands and the people who have lived around them for millennia. Our Irish bog tours are incredibly enjoyable and educational.
Imagine a rich green oasis rising gently from the Bog of Allen, Irelands largest peatland. That and much more is what you will find when you visit Lullymore Heritage & Discovery Park, “a world away” but only 30 miles west of Dublin City.
The Park, covering 60 breathtaking acres, explores Irish heritage, culture and the environment with interactive and moving exhibits. The Parks peatland area was until recently a barren industrial landscape – visitors are invited to witness the abundance of flora and wildlife now flourishing there since the removal of peat for fuel and energy ended.
Our local guides will take groups on a refreshingly informative and entertaining tour which gives visitors a real flavour of local culture and heritage and great memories to bring home. Discover why Lullymore offered safety to Monks and Rebels, the fascinating mystery of bog bodies and how this part of Ireland became central to an industrial revolution.
Trip Advisor Review – Visited May 2017 (flossy55)
There is so much to experience at Lullymore here are some of the popular activities with International Groups:
- Discover the wonders of Irish bogs – take a 15 minute trip on Irelands only Peatland Heritage Railway and try your hand at cutting turf with a slean.
- See how the ancient Irish lived and experience a stunning recreation of the sunlight entering the burial chamber at Newgrange.
- Learn why and how bodies were ritually buried and preserved for 1000’s of years in the bogs and discover the secrets of bog butter (authentic bog butter on display).
- Delve into the early monastic life of Saint Cillein who once lived in Lullymore Monastery.
- The 1798 rebellion comes to life with a holographic display based on local rebel leader Captain John Doorly of Lullymore.
- Visit a Famine mudwall cottage and hear the moving stories of two local emigrants Katie Gorey and Michael Rush.
- Explore Irish folklore and make a wish at a Fairy Tree (even if you’re skeptical its surely worth a try!)
- Enjoy our warm hospitality with traditional tea and scone in a thatched cottage.
Lullymore Heritage and Discovery Park is proudly launched the only Peatland Heritage Railway in Ireland in the August 2016. Sit back and enjoy a 15 minute trip through the Parks stunning peatlands.